Wednesday 8 February 2012

2012 Movies: Young Adult


Soon after her divorce, a fiction writer returns to her home in small-town Minnesota, looking to rekindle a romance with her ex-boyfriend, who is now happily married and has a newborn daughter.


This film wasn't anything I expected. I was kind of put off by the Diablo Cody tag. She wrote Juno... everyone raved. I raised an eyebrow. Didn't like Juno one bit. This film I did like, but it was advertised in a really weird way.

When I saw the trailer I thought it was going to be a comedy - laugh a minute sort of thing. It wasn't really. If anything I found it kind of depressing, and insulting. I don't know why I found it insulting... I just thought it was a sad portrayal of the life of a YA author. I know, it's all fiction, but it was kind of like a low blow.

The protagonist was an unlikeable character, and it seemed the writer went out of her way to make her so. I didn't really see any redeeming qualities to her at all. The story would have been a lot better had Charlize Theron's character been slightly likeable. I tended to find myself laughing at how awful she was... but I don't know if that was the point.

I didn't really get it, and though I liked the idea of the story it wasn't my cup of tea. Charlize was really good in it though. It was really well acted, if nothing else. I feel bad that I am giving this film such a hard time, but when I have seen so many good films so far in just this year alone I can't help but be honest and say this one has let the side (of 2012) down!

Final rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment