Sunday 5 February 2012

2012 Movies: Carnage


Two pairs of parents hold a cordial meeting after their sons are involved in a fight, though as their time together progresses, increasingly childish behavior throws the evening into chaos.



So, I loved this movie. I have to say - it was inspired. I know it was based on a play, and I can totally appreciate that when watching, as the way it's all set out is, basically, one set - so you really get a feel for the claustrophobic elements of the story.

The couples all interacted with each other SO well - I didn't think this would be a laugh out loud kind of film, I figured it would be more of a 'laugh in your head' deal. I was wrong. I laughed out loud so many times, and sure, many of these times weren't when other people laughed, but that was what was so good.

Jodie Foster just unravels mentally throughout the scenes and ends in this glorious drunk wreckage of womanhood. Kate Winslet is just her usual well-played self (though slightly going through the motions on the acting scale...), her character was equally amusing as she starts what will be the disastrous spiral into personal hell. Christoph Waltz is brilliant because he is so snippy and sarcastic and at first you kind of think he's the best of the bunch. He walks and talks and shmoozes and then you see HE starts to fall apart, but he acts as a kind of on-spurer of the whole charade. The icing on the cake for this film though, has to be John C Reilly. His facial expressions alone made me laugh but when he bursts out with his shouts and rants and utter bad-father antics he is at his best.

Each time the couple of Kate and Chris try to leave the apartment of John and Jodie they get pulled back in by some circumstance or another and each time you kind of gasp to yourself that they almost made it out. As the film escalates it really pulls you in.

All in all this film really had me in stitches. I came out really appreciating the way it was made and I'd definitely watch it again, which is always a good sign.

Final verdict:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment