Sunday 5 February 2012

2012 Movies: Timer


If a clock could count down to the moment you meet your soul mate, would you want to know?


So, this movie came out in 2009, but I've only just found it/ seen it and I'd like to believe it was serendipitous. You see, I was flicking through this months addition of Empire and saw this little gem in the Dungeon Breakout section. I love Emma Caufield so I made a mental note to try to track the film down. The next day I went to my friends house. We didn't know what movie to watch so we decided to flick through Virgin's 'On Demand' titles to see if anything struck our fancy. I saw this and told my friend about it and after a few seconds we decided we had to see it.

The plot (which is badly described in the blurb above, thanks IMDB) is about a woman who, like many other people in the (fictional) world, decides to get a Timer implanted into her wrist. 

These Timers count down to the moment you are going to meet your soul mate - so ignoring the many questions about science and cosmic entanglements - Emma's character, however, is stuck with a bad situation. Her Timer is blank. This is because her soul mate hasn't been implanted yet, and so ensues the story of her dating men and taking them to be implanted in hopes that she has found her great love, impatiently waiting for her countdown to begin so she can 'zero-out' and find inner tranquillity. 

On the other side of the coin is her sister, who HAS a count down, but states she won't meet The One until she's about 46. I think she is 29 in the film, so she has a while to wait. Whilst Emma's character just can't cope with having a blank timer, and frets about finding a man, her sister sees her predicament as a chance to have one night stands and slag about a bit. Both of them, however, are lusting for love, they just don't know if and when they are going to find it.

Emma meets this guy, this cute, insanely adorable guy, who she starts dating. But he has a timer and it only has 4 months left on the clock, so he should be off limits, but they hit it off and it gets pretty heavy. Her sister meets a widower who doesn't have a timer and they hit it off, but... like the other side, it gets pretty heavy. I don't want to spoil ANYTHING on this one, because the not knowing is the best part. 

All in all I was pulled into this. It's funny, adorable, mind bending, question raising, and entertaining. I real corker and I'm going to buy it in the near future to add to my collection. 

Final verdict:

No comments:

Post a Comment