Friday 1 October 2010

The Hole 3D


Ok, so many people I know are so against 3D it's insane. Although I do understand the extra cost is a kick in the teeth because, hey! We didn't ask for the previledge of a 3D cinema, but that's besides the point. 3D is cool in my opinion, and even kids films can be good in 3D.... I rest my case.


The Hole 3D was a different kind of 3D... because looking back at it, I don't think I can really remember anything THAT 3D about it... I only just realised that... strange.

But it was entertaining any who. The story was actually more of a grown up topic than I thought would be the usual topic for a kids film (woah, I don't think that was English..). For a cert 12 film the theme was quite dark - there were many kids in the screen with their parents and what not, and if I was one of those parents I would have been a bit put off by the fact that there was adult language used multiple times in the film, and parts of it were just damn creepy!


So the story goes 2 kids move to a new neighbourhood - they don't really get on, and the older one is all grumpy and teen angsty and hates his mother for having to constantly move around for jobs. They meet the cute - oh so popular but also alternative, uber cool, everyones best friend girl, who doesn't have a boyfriend neighbour and then they find a hole.


It continues like that for a while with all the 'what's this hole all about' questioning and such. But then things start to get strange - and they start seeing things. They eventually follow one of these visions back to the hole and you watch it crawl back in, in one of the most terrifying crawling scenes I have seen since Tamara crawles out of the TV in The Ring! *shiver* But then they start to figure out what's going on and have to face their fears and grow closer as friends etc because of it.


It really is a coming of age, facing your demons film - for kids and adults alike. Yeah, so its never going to win any awards - but its good fun, and creepy. Not sure it really hit its mark with the 3D elements - but not all films can be as awesome as Step Up 3D! (no joke, the 3D was amazing!).


I'd watch it again, in 2D just to watch it and be entertained - its much like The Vampires Assistant (which the main kid was in), and Zathura - its kind of fun, kind of spooky, a bit more grown up than you'd expect and overall i can't say I didn't like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment