Monday 11 October 2010

Apocalypto


Yes, sure, I'm late on the band wagon with this one. It was a film I intended to watch when it was first shown but failed to see for some stupid reason! (probably because no one would go with me).


I whacked this onto my DVD player, having bought it a few months ago, but never been in the mood to watch since and was pleasantly suprised. Which I am with most films I watch, but this one more so because I had such preconceived ideas about it, having been directed by the nut job/ not a nut job actor of actors, Mel Gibson.


Sure, when the film first started I did wonder what I had let myself in for - and even as a non film critic with no real experience in film other than having watched a god damn fair few, I could tell that some of the shots were... odd. I don't know how to describe it other than to say I just felt a little confused by some of the camera angles etc. But all in all the film was enjoyable. It looked great too!


You can't help but be impressed by the scale of the film - and even though its subtitled, you really don't notice! I find it hard to believe I even read the lines, as I was so sure at the end that they had started speaking English! Although to be fair there really isn't that much of a script.


The story is quite simple and easy to follow - a village is destroyed by a horrible group of men, who take them to a city to be used as slaves/ sacrificed to a God in order to aid their dying crops. The main character, Jaguar Paw, left his pregnant wife behind - trapped and hidden in a cave, and he decides early on that he must escape to get back to her. He is the hero, and you don't ever think he won't escape, which I personally like, because failure is so rife in real life, why throw it in your face in movies eh?


As the film continues it shows him and his friends go through some horrible ordeals and eventually Jaguar Paw gets free and then the hunt is on.


I was surprised by how much of the film was actually based on the capture, rather than the escape, however it was pivotal to the plot as you really have to like this character in order to appreciate the film. If you don't click with him, then you might as well turn off, because you HAVE to root for him, you just have to.


The film larks on as J.P runs back to his wife, with the bad bunch hot on his heels - there is hiding, fighting, slaying and lots of out of breath moments and its all edge of your seat stuff.


I would highly recommend this film! Watch out for a little girl making a prophecy - she is eerily scary, and not even an actor, she's a child who lives in a random South American village in the jungle! Premium find, as no child actor could have given such a terrifying performance!

No comments:

Post a Comment