Monday 1 November 2010

The Social Network



I went to see The Social Network last night and I didn't think I would be able to stay awake. Not because I thought it would be boring, but because I was SO tired. But then, a great thing happened. The film was GREAT, and I forgot I was tired.


What's good is that if you are really interested in the topic, and use facebook, meaning you like knowing nitty gritty information about people's lives whom you wouldn't usually know so much about if it weren't for facebook, then you will really like this film.

If you don't use facebook, and don't like films with lots of quick witted dialogue about stuff you have no idea about, then steer clear!


The story is about the guy who came up with the idea of facebook, but was taken to court because some people who hired him to make them a dating kind of site for Harvard, who claimed it was their idea... and is also taken to court at the same time by his ex best friend who was squeezed out of the company for giving him too much money, and generally trying to do all the hard work.


There is a lot of back and forth between the events that happened and the court cases and at first its a bit jarring to be watching the film and then be thrown into a room with them arguing about what happened, but you quickly become accustom to it and its a useful narration technique.


The acting was great, the story was interesting and there was some genius Parent Trap action going on with the Winklevoss twins. I would highly recommend this film.
A few people have said they think Mark Zuckerburg comes off as being an ass bag - completely ruining his friendship for a business, but... I really don't think he does. I think its a real situation and it got out of control - it sure does make me think twice about logging onto facebook though... i don't know why, but I feel like my whole perspective of the website has changed.. and I don't know if its for the better....

1 comment:

  1. as a Facebook addict (yes, i admit it), i would have to say that Facebook has really changed my life in many good ways--connecting with old friends, making new ones, etc..
    had it not been for my cousins in England, I would have never joined Facebook or Skype.
    However, it disturbs me that friendships, romantic relationships, and marriages have been ruined because of all the latest technologies. it's just absolutely amazing how serious some people take Facebook.
    wonder what's next????

    ReplyDelete