Monday 27 September 2010

The Last Exorcism




I wasn't too sure about this one going in. I mean, how many times can you watch a possession movie? I was pleasantly surprised, then, when it started up and it was like a nice documentary about a preacher who basically made money off the fact that people thought they were possessed. In fact, I would have liked it if the story had continued on this way for the whole film, but as it happened, this was just a blatant 'try to make this story more real by adding a family back story'.




I didn't find the film bad in any way. It was just very disjointed. The beginning of the film, like I said, was a nicely paced documentary, the middle was the 'oh my god, is she possessed? is she mad? Surely she's possessed! No, she must be mad! No, its her Dad who's mad' malarkey, which then jet streamed into the last segment of the film, which was where it all went a bit supernatural and Wickerman-ish. If you watch this and think you should have seen it coming, trust me. I don't think you should have. It was a completely out of the blue ending that didn't join up with the rest of the film at all.




There were 3 blatant chapters for this film, but they didn't match. If you're looking for a scary film, this had its jumpy moments in the 2nd segment - of the usual ilk; contorted bodies, scary dark house scenes, and altered voices, but it does lack in true horror.



What really raised the bar though, I have to say, is the acting of the main girl, Ashley Bell - she doesn't appear to have been in much, but I expect she is up and coming. I didn't believe she could look creepy for a second, but when she turned it was horrible!


1 comment:

  1. I completely agree! My husband is the DVD producer for Lionsgate and warned me not to watch it because it was crap.
    In the beginning I was really into the movie but the ending, oh that damn ending...I was pissed that I had spent my Saturday nite watching this.
    At the very least, the movie was not long.

    ReplyDelete